Thursday, September 3, 2009

Today Pick | To Know | T.I.

Once dubbed "the Jay-Z of the South" by Pharrell Williams, T.I. gradually came into his own and established himself as one of rap's most successful MCs during the early 2000s. Like Jay-Z,T.I. -- born Clifford Harris in Atlanta, GA -- carried a balance ofsmoothness and toughness, and although 2001's I'm Serious didn't shoothim out of the gate à la Reasonable Doubt, he consistently grew andlaunched a string of major hits with 2003's "24's." Throughout the sixfollowing years, T.I. maintained a consistent presence on urban radiostations in America: 2003's Trap Muzik, 2004's Urban Legend, 2006'sKing (released in tandem with T.I.'s debut screen appearance in ATL),2007's T.I. vs T.I.P., and 2008's Paper Trail -- all released throughthe MC's deal with Atlantic -- were Top Ten albums, with the latterthree even spending time at the very top of the chart.
For better or for worse, T.I. also courted a good deal ofcontroversy during his rise to superstar status. Far more ink was spenton his legal issues and conflicts with other rappers, including fellowSoutherner Lil' Flip,than his Katrina relief efforts and other humanitarian involvements.One notable event occurred on May 3, 2006, when T.I.'s crew was caughtup in a shooting after a show in Cincinnati. The crossfire left threepeople injured, while longtime friend and personal assistant PhilantJohnson was fatally wounded. Despite such incidents, T.I. continued toflourish as the decade drew to a close, charting three chart-toppingrap singles and four Top Five pop hits between 2008 and 2009. Hiscareer took a breather in 2009, however, when the rapper entered anArkansas prison to serve a yearlong sentence related to federal guncharges. ~ Andy Kellman, All Music Guide

Watch T.I. | Video| 24's 

Download T.I. in Rhapsody


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...